Letter From a Concerned Hispanic Brother, July 20,2001
Date: July 20, 2001
From: Hector Perez
To: The leading brothers in Fullerton - Mark Miller, Dan Notti, Tim Geftakys
Issue: Factual Information brought to our attention regarding David & Judy Geftakys.
Source of information: Rachel Geftakys and Judy Geftakys through Kevin H.
"This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." (2 Cor. 13:1)
Our concern is how Leading Brethren have neglected to discipline David Geftakys for his abusive behavior and inappropriate actions with Judy, his children and people that have lived with him and yet allowing him to be financially supported and allowed to preach on itinerate ministry knowing his sinful behavior.
A minimum of seven (7) serious incidents that have been witnessed, identified and reviewed with responsible brethren. Action was promised to be taken on Judy's behalf - yet nothing was done to remove David from leadership, partaking or stopping him from continuing his abusive behavior.
"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matt. 18:15-18)
David's abusive and ungodly behavior are:
- Several physical attacks on Judy including: Assault and battery with a fork, severe choking, black eyes, slapping her, severe pinching, scratching and gouging, violent eruptions, threats, beating her till she was bloody and bruised, suffocating her with a pillow, and several other incidents documented by Judy and Rachel in their journals
- Rachel has partial deafness in one ear due to David's violent behavior and physical abuse. On several occasions, Judy and children were left out in the cold and locked out of the house for long periods of time. No bathroom breaks for wife or children while driving on the road, forcing Judy and children to go without food for hours.
- Family abuse that has been witnessed and revealed to Leading Brothers.
- David has been supported by this ministry as a full time worker for years. He has spent thousands of dollars received from the ministry on his cars, hobbies, and sinful pleasures, while leaving the family without food in the house (Judy, David, Rebecca, Rachel)
- David is not involved with shepherding, or visitation of flock yet he has been supported as a full time worker for years. Why?
- David consistently goes out late at night for hours at a time driving around in his car. This has been known by several Leading Brethren for years. Where does he go? What does he do? Who has exhorted and confronted him about this?
- He goes to the gym everyday to workout but claims to be too sick to go to meetings except when he has to preach.
- Drinking to excess and drunkenness.
- Constant and long term verbal abuse including twisting the scriptures, fear, guilt, intimidation, and threats of physical force.
- Has forced Judy to perform and conduct acts that are too embarrassing to explain in detail, watching porno movies that were filthy and defiling.
- Judy's was so beaten that Gay Walker saw the blood.
- Has forced himself upon Judy on an on-going basis .
- David has demonstrated fetish tendencies.
- Judy was deceived in thinking she was receiving vitamin B vitamin injections when it was testosterone to "increase her sex drive" and David's sexual pleasures. This has left permanent, adverse, side effects on Judy.
- Dressed Judy in revealing clothing and a blonde wig while driving around the town.
- David's sin is well known, witnessed and documented by many.
- David's health has been used as an excuse for sinful activity - called "side effects of diabetes". His sinful behavior includes wife and child beating, use of testosterone, intimidation of his family, explosive anger (even rage), and pornography.
George and Betty are fully aware of David's actions and behavior. How have they addressed David's behavior and actions which have contributed to the family's devastation?
According to Judy, David and Betty have twisted scriptural interpretation that actually supports his abusive behavior (1 Cor.7:4).
If this was happening to your daughter or my daughter how would the Lord want us to handle this?
What type of consequences has David received from the leadership?
When has George or Betty asked the church to pray for their son David, Judy and grandchildren?
According to Judy, Betty blames Judy for everything that has happened. "It is a result of your sharp tongue." or "The assembly at SLO is praying for Judy who is dealing with an emotional and mental disorder" Bogus! What about David? Does Does George and Betty look at David's behavior as abusive and sinful?
Has Betty told leading brothers and Workers to remain silent about David's sins and abusive behavior? If so, why? What does the code of silence mean?
Brethren who were aware of David's behavior:
- George has known of the abuse since 1974.
- Betty has been closely involved in the lives of David and Judy, their marriage and children since day one.
- Gay Walker knew of the abuse as early as 1983 when helping Judy recover from her physical injuries inflicted by David.
- Dan Notti knew of the abuse since 1983. In 1986 Dan told David to stop physically abusing his wife. But no follow-up action was taken.
- The SLO Leadership has known about the abuse: Kirk and Lynda C., Holders, Lehmkuhls, Sanchez, and Brent and Suzie T.
- Tim, Ginger, Dawn and Elizabeth Geftakys have known about the abuse since 1994
- Mike Duwelling
- Mike and Cheryl Zach
- Mark Miller
- Keith Walker
- Laura B.
- Curtis M.
- Sandy F. and several others also knew of the abuse .
"Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear. I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality." 1 Tim 5:20-21
- Why has the leadership tolerated his behavior so long?
- How has David been held accountable?
- Is he partaking right now? If so, why?
- Why hasn't David been brought up before the church to be reproved?
- Why hasn't David been reported to police or social services?
Leadership has failed in their responsibility to protect Judy.
Leadership has demonstrated a double standard in regards to David Geftakys by showing favoritism and keeping these issues secret instead of bringing them out into the light. Clear nepotism. If this was any other person other than a Geftakys family member, that individual would be:
- Turned over to police for criminal and civil prosecution
- Advised to make things right spiritually, emotionally, and financially
- Shunned from all Assembly saints with a formal written letter of explanation that would be publicly read for anyone and everyone to know about
Others have been so reprimanded in the past with severe consequences for less weighty "sins" than those of David. How can David, who for so long as a Worker, Leading Brother, itinerant preacher, co-leader of the West Coast Conference, continue in the ministry with such well known, horrific and long-term sin in his life?
Marge T., Brent and other Christians in fellowship have been excommunicated or reprimanded for standing up and confronting this issue. Why?
How is the leadership holding David accountable with his sinful behavior, sexual addiction, and duplicity?
What is the leadership planning on doing to protect other spouses who may be in the same situation?
We agree with the steps outlined by Brent T. to Danny Edwards.
We expect a reply and report on actions taken by the end of August, 2001.
This is an Assembly leadership issue that impacts every member of the church and begins with the leadership.